View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 07:13 PM   #6
yorkieusa
Crazy about Kacee!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erika0308
Tonight my husband and I made the hardest decision of our lives. At the advice of all Sammy's doctors, we had our baby boy Sammy put down. It was determined that he had many other concerns other than just the hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. He didn't respond to the IV fluids, antibiotics or antinausea medications. He continued vomitting blood and having bloody diarrhea, since Friday. He hasn't eaten since Thursday. His skin lesions which we originally thought were hot spots had seemed to spread and blister. I don't want to go into graphic detail here, but they took over so much of his body. He began leaking fluids and there was fluid in his legs. His blood sugar would not stay stable even with the IV. His kidney levels were so high that in addition to all this they suspected kidney failure. His body wasn't even stable enough for him to undergo anasthesia for some of the further testing.

My Sammy was a fighter at 9.5 pounds, but this was too much for him. My husband and I spent 1 1/2 hours with him tonight before making our decision for him final. We felt that any further testing we may choose to have him undergo would be for our comfort, not for his. He was in pain. He was so uncomfortable, trembling with each breath and he looked up at us with those big brown eyes as if to say "I've had enough now". My Sammy gave me a few kisses before he left us and I believe that he was relieved that he would be sent to a better place and that there would be no more pain.

Please understand we did all we could and chose to do what we did in the best interest of our best friend. The void we feel in our lives right now is devastating and indescribable. I know many before have been there and time will help us to heal.

Thank you all for your support. I wish my story had a happy ending. Enjoy your little ones and give them a big hug and kisses from me and Sammy.
I'm so sorry, hon. You don't need to ask anyone here to understand why. Many of us have been in similar situations and had to make that decision, as difficult as it is. I believe when we adopt these little darlings that we accept the responsibility to give them a quality life as long as that is possible. Watching them lost or in pain is not a quality life. My heart aches for you right now. I know how hurtful it is.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!