View Single Post
Old 09-10-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
erika0308
Yorkie Talker

Unhappy Please help...hemorrhagic gastroenteritis!

First off, I should say "hello". My name is Erika and I just came across this wonderful site while searching for information about my Yorkie, Sammy.

I have two terrific little yorkies, Sammy (8 years old) and Winnie (6 years old). They are both generally pretty healthy, so we should be thankful for that.

Here's the situation we're in. On Wednesday night, we discovered a "hot spot" on Sammy's back that looked very red and the fur was mostly gone from it. He has very sensitive skin and does get these from time to time so we thought we'd watch it for a day or so and see what happens with it. On Thursday it looked the same so we thought we'd just keep an eye on it and maybe it would get better without having to go to the vet for it. Friday it started to get worse looking and we noticed more spots developing on his legs. He didn't eat or drink anything on Friday and also begain vomitting (brownish in color). Looking back, we think he may have not eaten much on Thursday either. By Friday night he was lethargic and not himself, so we decided first thing Saturday morning we'd take him to the vet.

Saturday I get him to the vet in the morning and he is so lethargic and sad looking. The vet was very concerned so she did some bloodwork and had me wait right there for the results. His numbers did not look good at all. Blood sugar was way low and red blood count was really high. I forget most of the other details regarding the blood work, but it seemed that most numbers were abnormally high or low. He was also severely dehydrated. So we took him to an animal hospital, where he is right now, in critical condition.

The doctor's are thinking hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. He's been on IV fluids for over 24 hours now, in addition to IV antibiotics. We went to see him today thinking we'd see some improvement, but not at all. He looks so lethargic and weak and just sad. My heart is breaking for him right now. My husband and I don't know what to do at this point. We are going to see how he does tomorrow, we're really hoping to see some improvement after 48 hours on the IV fluids and antibiotics.

The other big issue is that right now, we've already spent $1000 and that is just up until tonight. The vet today estimates our total will be around $2000. And we don't even know if he is going to recover from this. I hate to think about money as a factor, but it is because we also have a baby and a 3 year old and right now I am only working two days a week...

I guess I'm just looking for some support, encouragement, or advice. Anyone have experience with this? Or just with big vet bills and medical expenses?

Thanks!
erika0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!