View Single Post
Old 09-09-2006, 09:14 AM   #10
dizpatch
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila
I can understand how you feel about being told to leave the hotel, but the hotel had every right to do so. If your dog is a Service Dog, under the ADA (American Disability Act), you can keep her with you, otherwise, you must abide by the hotel's policies. Many hotels are happy to accomodate pets IF asked upfront, and if a 'damage' deposit is paid. I'm sorry you are upset, but by sneaking your dog in, you make it more difficult for others, as the hotel management will be less likely to ever admit pets. Even if your dog is an ESA for your niece, it still does not have to be allowed; first of all, your dog cannot be an ESA for someone that is not living with youand secondly, only Service Dogs are covered in public by the ADA.
The hotel management was wihin its rights to aske you to leave, and to fine you for having the dog there, EACH time. After all, you were told clearly that the dog was not welcome, yet you still broke the rules and sneaked her in again. Do you really wonder at the management being upset? You know if your dog will or will not damage anything in the room, or even leave fleas, but the hotel management does not; that is what the $50.00 deposit is for. It is quite standard for pets at most inns that accomodate them.

However, hotels are NOT allowed to demand a deposit for 'damage control' from anyone who is accompanied by a Service Dog as outlined in the ADA.

I may be unpopular with those of you who are used to sneaking your dogs into public places, but as a Service Dog owner and handler, I can see both sides of the story.
Lila,
I understand what you are saying. I know it is very hard sometimes for people to understand what it is like for people who have service animals and how important it is for them to have access. I will also mention that I struggle very much with people sneaking pets into stores and yes, even restaruants because they can in these little bags.
Iam a strong supporter of service animals, as I mentioned for many years I raised Guide Dogs for The Blind. I applaued you for standing up and taking your position. Even though it may offend people, people do need to know.

Muriel
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!