View Single Post
Old 09-07-2006, 12:21 PM   #15
AuntBee
Yorkie Yakker

My alarm bells are ringing about this Precious Paws place. First of all, I don't think the owners "surrendered" the dogs. I think the people from Precious Paws purchased the dogs to rescue them - which is a big No-No in my mind. It only encourages puppy mills and financially supports them. Their adoption fees range from $150-500, and they specifically state that they will buy dogs if it's the only way to "rescue" them.

Secondly, why did they not turn the place into the registering body? The AKC or ACA (and most other registering bodies) would have inspected immediately and suspended their membership, which greatly reduces profits.

Thirdly, they are very misleading in their statements that there are NO animal cruelty laws in their area. I looked it up on Google and found:
http://network.bestfriends.org/westt...oalition/news/

This is the website for the local ASPCA, and they have a link to the TN Animal Cruelty Laws. I looked at the document, and it says, in part:
Quote:
(4) "Torture" means every act, omission, or neglect whereby unreasonable physical pain, suffering, or death is caused or permitted,
Neglecting needed veterinary care is included. Also, the document includes this:

Quote:
39-14-210.
Societies For Prevention Of Cruelty To Animals - Powers.
(a) The agents of any society which is incorporated for the prevention of cruelty to animals, upon being appointed thereto by the president of such society in any county, may, within such county, make arrests, and bring before any court thereof offenders found violating the provisions of this part with regard to non-livestock animals.
(b) Any officers, agents, or members of such society may lawfully interfere to prevent the perpetration of any act of cruelty upon any animal in such person's presence. Any person who interferes with or obstructs any such officer, agent, or member in the discharge of this duty commits a Class C misdemeanor.
and this:

Quote:
Regarding the local humane society going on and investigating Agriculture Animal (Horses, etc) cruelty calls:
From HSUS Central States Regional Office 05/06/04:
Your organization can't investigate matters of livestock cruelty (including horses). The state law was amended several years ago and powers to investigate were taken away from humane officers. This happened as a result of a few individuals who took it upon themselves to illegally remove horses without going through proper legal channels, unfortunately. Only county ag extension officers and/or large animal veterinarians have the authority to investigate these cases. However, that doesn't mean that there can't be a workable alternative. Typically, sheriff or police officers will investigate the initial complaint and after doing so, will enlist the help of one of the aforementioned. In many cases, local animal control or humane society representatives are asked to assist in these cases. This is acceptable only if their assistance is requested by someone with authority, but it is usually welcomed by law enforcement as they are not always knowledgeable about animal care and what constitutes cruelty as defined in the law.
The SPCA has specific authority in TN over any non-livestock animal, which includes dogs. So, why didn't they call the SPCA? Or, if city police said this is outside the city limits, why not call the county sheriff's office? They are definitely located with the area that the West TN Animal Coalition covers, even though they are towards central TN, but they aren't listed on the Rescue Resource Page of the West TN Animal Coalition either.

I'm sorry, but I think There is something extremely fishy going on at Precious Paws.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!