View Single Post
Old 11-23-2004, 06:12 PM   #5
yorkipower
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrstna
What is Earthdog? I have a feeling my Yorkie would be into it, from what you said about playing in the dirt and barking at mice all day. My little girl will sit at the window for hours on end, waiting for a squirrel to come by.. and then she will bark, whine, and jump at the window as if saying "Mom, LET ME AT HIM!!!" Sometimes I let her out, and she darts right after that squirrel. It's really cute to see their instincts kick in... she even tried to climb the tree after them! lol..

Well, from your post, I have a feeling you are right!

Here's what the AKC says about earthdog -
Getting Started in Earthdog Tests

The purpose of non-competitive earthdog tests is to offer breeders and owners of small Terriers and Dachshunds a standardized gauge to measure their dog's natural and trained hunting and working abilities when exposed to a hunting situation.

In Introduction to Quarry, no title is awarded and dogs with no training can participate. Two rats, safe in a cage, are placed in a long, narrow tunnel in the ground. Dogs must find the quarry within three minutes and then must show interest in catching it by digging, growling, or barking at it.

The earthdog program then progresses through gradual steps to require the dog to demonstrate that it is capable of being trained to follow game to ground and work its quarry. The three levels and their respective titles are:

• Junior Earthdog (JE)
• Senior Earthdog (SE)
• Master Earthdog (ME)
yorkipower is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!