View Single Post
Old 09-05-2006, 08:01 AM   #2
Erin
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

The problem with those places is that you don't know what types of training they are using - since you can't observe them. Do you want them to put a choke collar on your pup? I doubt it. I wouldn't trust those places. Plus, what works at their training facility won't necessarily translate to your home. They need to learn to take commands from you - not from the trainer. We've taken many training classes and we always give our own dogs the commands. The trainer demonstrates on her dog, then we try with our dog. The most important part is practicing at home.

You are best off getting a private trainer or petsitter come to you, since you can't leave the house. Loki's trainer does in home consults all the time. This helps set up a plan, but doesn't do the day to day stuff. As far as basic commands there's no reason you can't sit on the couch with a treat can and work on those things - only the housetraining will be hard. We have a local petsitter that will make multiple trips if necessary and since dog potty breaks are her livelyhood - i'd trust her judgement on housetraining. A reliable neighbor might be great too - a stay at home mom or retired neighbor might be happy to be compensated for playing with your dog all day. (Our neighbors just asked us to help out with their new puppy since we work much closer to home and shorter hours than they do - of course I'm going to help!) Some private trainers will take a dog into their home under special circumstances - or maybe the breeder will take the dog back and train it for a while? I know many breeders will hold a dog until it is a little older.

Do you have a relative or close friend who will take the pup for a month or so to get things started? Or someone who can stop over a lot? I think most people would understand that bedrest isn't something to mess with and be happy to help out - don't be afraid to ask! Good luck!!!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!