Thread: Identity theft
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2006, 07:02 PM   #4
cheryl000
YT 1000 Club Member

Thank you for the tips Amber! I will definately be using them in my paper.
I am so sorry that happened to you Cindy. I know that it can make you feel powerless. I can't believe people are allowed to get credit out before they even turn 18 without parent's permission! My SIL filled out one of the papers that came in the mail when she was 12 and got her own credit card without her parents knowing about it! Needless to say she got adicted to it over time credit cards started to spiral out of control. Then it got into cards where she was trading them off to have a new one every year and just her car payments were over $800 a month. She has bankrupt already. Now she's 29 and still living with her parents.
I also worry that someone could steal my son's credit because I had lost his social security card. I tried to look up and see if there was any info about it on a credit report but it wouldn't let me because he's too young. IMO if someone takes out loans and creditcards it should be required to show proof of identification in person and paperwork of the transaction should be sent to the home address. If something were to happen we wouldn't be notified for a long time. I'm glad we're allowed free credit checks once a year, but to me it's just a start and more needs to be done.
cheryl000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!