View Single Post
Old 09-04-2006, 03:02 PM   #9
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

I think that sometimes when you have more than two pets - two of them will bond the most closely. There is nothing wrong with this, and it doesn't mean that they can't all get along very well.

Interestingly, I had two dogs and two cats -- and when I brought my second puppy home - it was one of the cats that he immediately bonded most closely to. They were fast friends and played constantly - inside and out. But he and my other dog still got along very well. In fact, after his cat friend passed away, he became much closer to the other dog and they began playing together all the time.

Theeeeeeeeeen - he lost his second best friend - and now he has bonded very closely to the little Yorkie pup that I brought home a year ago. They drive me crazy playing - what fun they have!

I think the important thing in a house with several pets is that they tolerate one another, are friendly, and get along well. They will work out their own relationships , we can't force these relationships. And, we should respect and enjoy the relationships that they do form.

You new little puppy may well choose "you" to be it's closest friend. And, you certainly can always encourage the entire group (including yourself) to get out and romp and play together.

My rule has always been, "If you're going to live here - you have to get along with everyone." Any behavior other than this has always been quickly and consistently discouraged. And - the end result is that everyone here gets along just fine....some are closer friends than others -but that's okay too!

***** And, "yes" --- it has always taken a while (but not long) for my pets to form the relationships that they do have with one another.

Good luck! Carol Jean
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!