View Single Post
Old 11-23-2004, 01:27 PM   #13
mmyorkies
No Longer a Member

We got him from the breeder on November 7th at around 9 weeks old and the vet said he was totally fine on the vet check .

I hope I am not sounding harsh, but your little one actually should have stayed with it's mother until at least 12 weeks. I know that too many breeders just want to move the pups out the door, and when they are too young this will sometimes cause them to be stressed, which will bring on hypogyclemia. They will out grow this as they mature. you can supplement him with some nutrical or nutristat. Just a small dab on your finger and the pup should just lick it off. I give my pups this daily until they are about 5 or 6 months. I have a litter right now that is 11 weeks and the run and chase each other and their mother all around our place when I let them out of their pen.

However by November 9th he started with diarrhea and eventually developed hypoglycemia by the 11th so we again went to the vet who diagnosed him with Coccidia and an ear infection. He was put on Albon and otobiotic ear ointment which he was on for a week.

The puppy has never been active very much at all. He doesn't play or chew. He has had about 10 minutes total of any playful activity. He just will snuggle and be held.

Also, his hair is shedding and coming out when he is gently brushed and I thought Yorkies didn't shed. His hair has an oily dirty appearance and I bathed him and it quickly resumed this look. He really doesn't bark much if at all. He seems to shake and scratch fairly often even after his otobiotic is completed. He smelled bad at first but it seemed to be mainly coming from his ears which seems better now that his ears have been treated.

His hair should not be coming out like you describe. Wehn you brush or comb him a small amount will come out, just as when you brush or comb your hair, but not the big patches you are talking about. What food are you feeding? I could even be an allergy to food ingredients. I feed my pups Nutra Ultra Puppy food. They are doing really well on it, but there are other puppy foods that are good also.

I told the vet both times about my concern about his lack of playfulness/activity and at first he said maybe the puppy was not as old as I was told he was. But I had seen the puppy at age 5 weeks and then picked him up at age 9 weeks. Besides the breeder seemed very honest and reputable so I do not think that would be.

Basically, I know all dogs have different personalities but we are beginning to think he has brain damage and is slow.
I was thinking that maybe his diminutive size may make him not as active but gerbils (though not dogs) are smaller than him and are very active.

Has he been checked for liver problems, by having a bile acid test? I tested both my breeding female and male before I bred them and my pups are going for the test next week. Unfortunately, Livershunt is popping up more and more in our wonderful yorkies.

For a little while he was licking us a lot but seems to have minded when we told him no. The reason we decided there was to be no licking it because he also has been caught eating/licking his stool if he gets to it before we can whisk it away. His breath is foul, but of course that would be the reason for that I would assume.

Are these at all normal behaviors or symptoms??We are especially concerned about his lack of "personality" or whatever you would label it. He is a good lap dog but surely as a puppy he should play a little bit. Any help you Yorkie old timers can give will be so very much appreciated!

Thanks and God bless![/QUOTE]
mmyorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!