View Single Post
Old 09-04-2006, 07:59 AM   #11
Brookef18
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Default How I trained Chewy... It's worth a try!

Chewy is 41/2 months old... He only goes outside and he goes with in 3 min or less!(no kidding!) Chewy is not neutered yet... Here is how I did it.

1. I bought a baby play yard-I think it's the same as an ex-pen but plastic...

2. Put little rocks in side so he couldn't dig and get dirty every time he went potty! And I lined the edges with bricks...(He likes to step up on the bricks when he is done! MY friend's Yorkie does this too!)

3. Put a few leaves on the rocks to hold the smell so they get the idea! Or transfer some of the stuff from where he has been potting so he knows what to do!

4. Take your baby out at least every hour to try... Chewy goes just about every time we take him out... I tell him to potty.. go Pee or Poopie! I also started off giving treats till he got the idea.

5. Watch your Yorkie nonstop when he is in the house and the second you see him start to go... say (don't yell) No no no no..quickly take him out to his POTTY! Chewy got the idea that going in the house wasn't ok after doing this about 4 times!!! Before that I would just clean up the mess and not say anything but I don't think he realized it was any problem!!!

Before I took my friends advice and did this play yard thing I would walk Chewy and he WOULD NOT GO! He sniffed EVERYTHING!!! But never took the time to go potty! Then would go inside... I was at my wits end. I think the thing about them having a potty place is there is nothing to sniff... once they sniff it out in the beginning it is always the same! If Chewy doesn't go within 5 min we go back inside. </IMG></IMG>
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!