View Single Post
Old 09-01-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan123
Hi everyone, I have my first 3 female litter here. They are 2 1/2 weeks old, just starting to walk around. Eyes have been open since 7 days. Mom is on puppy food (several med. bowls per day), plenty of water, with cottage cheese and yogurt (every other day). The pups are big and growing, following mom around. Her teats seem just drained, they always look as if a puppy just finished eating off of all of them. They never look full. Her sides are thin. I've always thought of her as "hearty" but she's not, she's got her figure back.

I'm wondering if she is going to provide enough right now to keep up with these pups. She's always laying and feeding a pup or three it seems.

From what I've read, some start weaning onto very wet premium puppy food for the puppies to drink almost at 4 weeks average, sometimes 3 1/2.

Do you have any suggestions for us at 2 1/2 weeks? I know I should probably increase her cottage cheese and yogurt to daily for starters. Anything to help rebuild her milk supply in between feedings? I know for humans, water is very important ( for more milk) and she drinks plenty of it.

Any advise is much appreciated. Thank you!

Susan
Here's a recipe that I feed my mommies as well as to tinies that aren't taking to weaning.....Helps bring in mothers milk. Doesn't cause any digestive problems at all

Post Whelping Pudding

16 oz. water
1 pkg. Knox Gelatin
(micro. to disolve)
15 oz. can evap. milk
2 tabls. vanilla yogurt
2 egg yolks
2 tabls. white corn syrup
mix all ingred. in bowl let set in fridge
until thickens. Spoon out as needed.
Mardelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!