View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 01:18 PM   #1
doortego
Little Bit & Buttons
Donating Member

Default Email from PA Governor Re Puppy Mills

I am posting the response I received from the PA Governor's Office regarding my complaint about the treatment of dogs in PA.

Thank you for your correspondence to the Governor's Office concerning commercial dog regulations.

Your comments are appreciated and the Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement in the Department of Agriculture takes its authority from the existing statute and inspects all licensed kennels to insure they are meeting the compliance standards mandated by current state law and regulations.
To address the concerns raised by citizens such as you, Governor Rendell has instructed the Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement to revise the kennel regulations in Pennsylvania. The Bureau will be working with interested stakeholders, the General Assembly and members of the Dog Law Advisory Board in these discussions as they progress over the next several months. Attached for your information is a summary of the proposed changes.

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your concerns. Should you need further assistance with a state related matter in the future, please feel free to contact our office again. Thank you.

SUMMARY OF PROPOSED AMENDMENTS TO THE DOG LAW REGULATIONS

These changes will be proposed by the Department of Agriculture, in consultation with interested stakeholders and the Dog Law Advisory Board.

Set forth separate sections for indoor and outdoor kennel facilities. The intent is to detail and address the numerous different health, safety and welfare issues, which must be considered in both instances.

Special specifications for outdoor facilities.

Provide an area outside the doghouse itself that provides the dog with protection from elements such as sun, rain and mud. Require an area of permanent shade and protection from the elements – other than the doghouse itself. Such area shall be located immediately outside the dog house, shall be of permanent construction and shall provide for shade, protection from the elements and a dry, mud free area for the dog, such that mud and wet conditions do not have to be taken into the dog house, thereby soiling the bedding and making it an ineffective means to maintain the dog’s body heat.

Provide that dogs housed outside must be provided with a flat area (relatively flat area – we are working on addressing a maximum slope) on which to walk and be housed. Some dogs in outdoor kennels currently reside on hillsides and have no flat area on which to walk or lie down. The regulations do not currently address this situation.

Provide specifics with regard to:

o Length of run to be provided for each dog or length of chain. (Research to see if there is scientific evidence regarding health, safety and welfare issues which would support increasing the current length requirements and/or eliminating the use of chains).

o The type of material on which the dogs could be kept – setting forth allowable materials and/or prohibited materials (i.e. – crushed stone, cement, blacktop, etc.). Sanitation and pad or foot protection are the major considerations.

o Dog house specifications (i.e. – size of house, type of materials, condition of house, etc.)

Additional, special specifications for indoor facilities. (In addition to current regulatory requirements)

o Detailed specifications with regard to acceptable ammonia levels.

o Detailed specifications with regard to lighting requirements (i.e. – specific wattage or candlelight requirements).

o Detailed specifications with regard to temperature requirements and air movement.

o Space requirements for dogs kept in cages (must find scientific justification to support any new requirements).

Require and set forth minimum provisions for an Exercise Plan for all dogs within a kennel. (USDA has such a requirement)

Require and set forth specifications for storage of food.

Separate storage facility.
Require provisions for rodent and vector of disease control.
Specifics with regard to storage food and open food containers.

4. Require wash facilities for caretakers.

5. Requirements for storage of toxic materials such as cleansers and medicines.

6. More detailed sanitation requirements throughout the regulations.

7. More detailed recordkeeping requirements.

Sanitation (including requiring record of when each cage and facility last cleaned)
Requiring record of time last provided food and water (daily basis)
Record of exercise for each dog.
More details regarding where and when each dog bought or sold and who bought from or sold to, as well as, health certificate requirements for dogs bought or sold across State lines.

More detailed requirements for Condition of Dogs. (i.e. – matted hair, feces, mud, injuries and wounds).

New and more detailed forms for records and dog disposition forms for dogs running at large and dangerous dogs.

10. More detailed forms and requirements for dangerous dogs.

Registration
Bonding
Notification to Insurance Companies and Department

11. Provisions to allow more stringent enforcement of in-state and out-of-state licensure enforcement.

Make it a violation for a Commonwealth licensed kennel to do business with an unlicensed in-state or out-of-state dealer.

An exception could be provided for the Department to allow the transfer of dogs from an unlicensed in-state kennel that is voluntarily ceasing operations as a kennel (i.e. – reducing the number of dogs to below 26) or for a currently licensed kennel, which is facing suspension or revocation of its kennel license and chooses to voluntarily cease operations as a kennel. This would allow the Department to trace the dogs in such a situation to assure they are going to a licensed kennel and would accomplish the goal of shutting down an unlicensed or sub-standard kennel operation and getting the dogs into better living conditions.

12. Set forth definitions and a special section to detail enforcement, licensure and recordkeeping requirements for Rescue Groups and Foster Care homes utilized by those Rescue Groups.
doortego is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!