Thread: Liver Shunts?
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006, 11:25 AM   #1
Henry's mom
Yorkie Yakker

Default Liver Shunts?

Henry, almost 7 mos old, ate some Marigold petals last Friday (also a day after flying from MN to Seattle--in MN I believe he may have been exposed to some Round-Up). He began to vomit and I posted a thread to the health chat board.

Henry continued to vomit and I rushed him to the hospital. While the vet felt that he didn't eat enough to poison him, he did feel that at the very least it upset his stomach. He was also quite dehydrated. After meds and SQ fluids, I was sent home with instructions for a bland diet and to F/U with my vet Monday.

Labs were drawn this week because of Henry's history of finicky eating, refusal to drink fluids and no weight gain in the past 2 months (previously chalked-up to the 1st 2 issues). Both the ER vet and my regular vet hinted that Henry may have what is called "liver shunts". His lab work came back and shows that he does have problems with his liver. Next he'll have what is called a bile-acids test and then an ultrasound to determine if and where the shunts are located.

Does anyone have information or experience with any of these issues? I'd really appreciate your help. I am very worried. alley
Henry's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!