View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006, 12:50 AM   #3
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

I have three wonderful vets and always follow their advise.

One thing all of us should consider -- when we come on YT for advise is that what might be good advise for one person may not be good advise for another.

When we visit our vets regarding shots, vaccinations and other care for our dogs, a lot of what our vets do and tell us depends on where we live. Different diseases and different conditions are more prevelant in some areas than they are in others. Rabies is a good example. A person who lives on the 4th floor of a building in an apartment in the center of a large city is less likely to have their pet exposed to rabies than a person living in a rural area might be. And, from time to time, there are outbreaks of rabies and all the pets in these areas should have more aggressive preventative care. Rabies shots do vary as well as how often our pets should have these shots.

If you live in a hot, humid, tropical climate --- certain problems and illnesses will be much more common than if you live in a colder drier climate. And, different vaccinations and different sorts of preventative measures need to be used in these different areas.

Fleas are another good example... almost no problem where I live now, but when I lived in southern California - they drove us nuts!!!!

And, many things are much more serious and life threatening than other things are. Accepting the most up-to-date, standard care or preventative measures is always my choice here.

So - if your vet tells you one thing and your friends here tell you something else --- I think you might reconsider what your vets say. . They know a lot more, keep more up to date, and have a lot more information at their disposal than any of us do. Plus --- if your vets are like mine- their main goal is to keep our dogs and other pets happy and healthy.

You know what they always say --- knowing a little medicine is more dangerous than knowing none at all --- and I'm sure this is true for a lot of the advise we give for our animals as much as it is for us.

Carol Jean

**** My husband was a physician, and I have worked in medicine for more than 35 years. I can't even begin to tell you how many things I read and hear every day that are sooooooooooooo wrong.....and, unfortunately, a lot of people are listening or reading these same things and think they are true.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!