View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 02:19 PM   #8
Oscar's Mummy
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkey
Thanks for the reply Oscar's Mummy!

Being a bit dumb, what is kibble? Sorry.. Jess is just over two years old and about the size of an adult cat if that helps.

Glad to hear we are not over walking her as we really enjoy the walks.

Do Yorkies eat a meal properly or do they pick all day etc? Sorry for all the questions, but thanks for your help and patience.
Kibble would be any of the dry bagged foods you can buy - Like Royal Canin for example. Do you know how much she weighs? Both my puppies are under 4lbs and I feed them twice daily. IMO I think that it's probably healthier for a dog (of any size) to be fed two small meals a day rather than one big one.

It's up to you if you want to 'free feed' her (leave her kibble out all day so she can eat as she pleases) or have set meals for her. Having set meals will allow you to kindof keep track of when she will need to poop/pee throughout the day - regular meals means she will develop a potty pattern and you will know when she needs to go out. Free feeding is good if you KNOW your dog WON'T over-eat. I let my two free feed from their breakfast all morning (sometimes they eat it all up right away, sometimes they will just pick at it throughout the morning and its usually gone by noon) I then feed them a meal around 6 in the evening which they usually eat right up. I give them a treat in between meals. Free feeding is ok, just don't keep filling up her bowl because it's empty - I would measure out the amount for that day and when it's gone, it's gone. Fill it up again the next day. There's no right or wrong way and it's entirely up to you and your lifestyle.

I think I read in your other 'introductory' post that you had only had her for a few days (?) Her lack of appetite may simply be due to the new environment. She is probably still adjusting to the new people, new home, everything - as she gets more comfortable, she will start to eat more. I definitely wouldn't just let her go without eating anything though and I'm sure you'll be able to find something to peak her interest in the meantime. Like I mentioned before, boiled chicken and cottage cheese were a lifesaver for me with Ruthie in the beginning. (*Just be sure not to switch her food TOO much too often as she may end up with diarrhea)

I hope I haven't just thoroughly confused you!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!