View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 12:27 PM   #2
Oscar's Mummy
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

First of all, Welcome to YT!

Second...

I've NEVER heard of someone saying "sometimes Yorkies don't eat everyday" and NOT being concerned about it - These are small dogs and they need nourishment - especially the little wee ones. You'll hear lots of mention of Karo syrup or Nutrical for picky puppies who won't eat their food - this is to keep their blood sugar up. Please disregard what this person said - it is important for your puppy to have a healthy diet and eat everyday, even twice a day.

Kibble IS GOOD for Yorkies - the hard texture works their teeth and keeps them strong and healthy. It's not a good idea to have them on a diet of soft (canned) food alone - this is what causes problems down the road and results in dogs with lots of missing teeth. There are tons of options for picky eaters who won't eat kibble alone - put a little chicken broth over the kibble, warm water mixed with kibble, cottage cheese, yogurt,etc.etc. OR mix in a bit of canned food - BUT, Cesars is not the best brand. It's kindof the equivalent of giving a human child a cheeseburger everyday... If you can't get her to eat kibble at all - try boiled chicken with rice.

Both of my babies were EXTREMELY picky eaters for the first few weeks of being home - Ruthie has only just now started to eat kibble with Oscar (thank goodness!). I tried everything and as long as she was eating something, it was better than nothing - she's too small to just let her starve and learn the hard way. It's good that Jess is drinking lots - at least she is well hydrated. I'm not sure how big or small she is, but you may want to invest in some Nutrical (or equivalent) for days that she's not eating well.

As far as exercise, I don't think it's possible to exercise too much - she will let you know when she's had enough. Most dogs do sleep all day. If she's still a young puppy she will likely sleep the majority of the day.

Hope some of this helps! Good luck!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!