View Single Post
Old 08-27-2006, 06:25 AM   #9
Superpup
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Pre and Post-Op Pain Management

Please be sure to get all the necessary blood work done before surgery. Liver enzymes will be tested to rule out liver shunt, among other tests.

Progressive vets use pre-op pain meds, surgical pain meds, and post-op meds. It costs more, but your baby's comfort is well worth it. You should be sent home with 2-3 days worth of meds. Ask the vet to also give an antibiotic shot after surgery, and to trim nails while under anesthesia.

I used the "soft" E-collar I found on the net, and put Vitamin E on the wound, straight from the capsule.

I had both my boys done on the same day. They came home tired, had a little trouble pushing out their first poop. I had prepared their kibbles with warm water to make it soft for them. They ate ravenously. They slept for about 12 hours after that.

Personally, I think the onesie or infant sweatpants (make cuts for potty use) is a much better idea.

No jumping or rough play. I took off from work for a week and watched them constantly. What did I learn??? It was harder on me than one them!!!

Your baby will be back to normal before you know it. Just follow the vet's directions and keep your "third eye" open.

Good Luck and God Bless!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!