Thread: Girly Surgery
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2006, 08:56 PM   #3
Lorraine
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Hi I have yet to have one of my girls come into heat for the first time at less than 8 months. Female puppies i have sold I recommend having spayed at between 7 and 8 months of age. I suggest they check for the second teeth to be all erupted and for the baby teeth to have come out. At the time of spaying the Vet can remove retained baby teeth at the same time. Many toy breeds do not drop all their baby teeth especially the canines.
For the actual surgery prices will vary depending on where you are located. You can check around a few clinics but be sure you are going to a vet that knows how to sedate toy dogs and that the isofluorine gas is used not halothane which actually has not been used by many vets for along time now.
For extra caution, you can also ask about having her on IV during the procedure. It will add a bit to the cost, but can be safer as it is a ready avenue should any drugs be needed and it keeps her hydrated.
As for pet insurance, I have no idea what plans if any cover spay/neuters. You would have to check with the companies and there are a few around. Your Vet clinic may be able to give you some of their brochures.
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!