Thread: Heartworm Pill
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2006, 08:00 PM   #8
Pattie
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilis717
Hi,
I just wanted some advise on heart worm pills. My vet wants me to start giving my 5 month old Yorkie heart worm pills. I wanted to know if most of you give your Yorkie the whole pill. The box said it is for dogs up to 25 pounds. Is it safe to give my Yorkie the whole pill? The vet said yes but I wanted to ask my Yorkie friends first. I am also recently having a problem with him eating. He seems to have become very fussy! Could someone suggest a good food! Are these guys usually fussy? This is my first Yorkie and this breed is very different from what I am use to!
Thanks,
Lisa
Sentinel is what I use, it treats heartworm, other worms as well as flees. The pill is for dogs up to 25 lbs as well, Chloe is almost 5 lbs.- 1 yr old/ Sissy is almost 3 lbs - 4 and 1/2 months. Both have taken it since they were 3 months old, they will take it 12 months out of the year. My daughter had a dog that had heartworm, the treatments are so sad to watch a dog go thru.
I put a dab of peanut butter on a small smidgen of bread and push the pill into it, they eat it up. Heartgard is chewable & they liked the taste but Sentinel is a small tiny pill but I like the flee thing in it.

Eating, hmm Chloe was rotten, Sissy eats anything & everything, hers as well as Chloes! I had to boil chicken (good for Yorkies) and add diced chicken in her IAMS, then each week I would add less & less until I added none. It took me about a month or a little longer. She still eats better when I wet it with warm water but I leave dry done for both all the time.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!