View Single Post
Old 08-26-2006, 02:15 PM   #2
Lacy's Mom
YT 3000 Club Member

Here's some information on strengthening the immune system and yogurt.

Topic: Ask the Veterinarian

Subject: kennel cough

Question
I have a 10 week old Westie. He has had kennel cough for two weeks now. He has been on antibiotics for those two weeks, but he is still coughing. His cough is better than before, but I thought kennel cough lasted up to 2 weeks. How much longer will he be coughing and how long should I wait before bringing him back to the vet?
Also, what cough suppresent would you recommend giving him and about how much should he get? We have also started giving him a little yogurt- will that help?

Answer
Often times puppies will take longer to recover than an adult due to their weaker immune system. I would suggest that you call your vet and advise that your puppy is still coughing and has finished the antibiotics. Kennel cough is often times due to a viral infection and must run its course. There are also bacteria, mainly Bordetella, implicated in kennel cough, therefore, antibiotics are often prescribed to cover the bases. If there is a lot of inflammation in the trachea, anti-inflammatories may be needed...I often prescribe Temeral P for this situation.

Yogurt is good to repopulate the good bacteria in his intestinal tract but will not affect the kennel cough.

You can give him Vitamin C 5-10 mg per pound 4 X a day to help boost his immune system as well as Echinacea at 1/4 of human adult dose.

As far as cough suppressants, you can use OTC Robitussin....1/2 tsp every 4-6 hours. Make sure the only 2 ingredients are guaifenesin and dextromethorphan.
Lacy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!