Thread: Looking in N.C.
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2006, 09:57 AM   #2
Lorraine
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahackett
I'm looking for an addition to my family in NC. I am willing to travel, but having a hard time finding a reputable breeder around me.. if anyone can help me, i would be greatly appreciated!! thanks
Go to dog shows in your area. You can find breeders there either watching their handler show their dog or they are showing them themselves. You can try infodog.com as they list all breed shows and will go by area. You can find the same type of info on the AKC website at www.akc.org
You can also go to the breeder referral on the Yorkshire Terrier Club of America at www.ytca.org I am sure there are people in NC listed there.
If you are going to buy a puppy from a show breeder, they will interview you before you even get on a waiting list to be sure the home is suitable. You aren't buying a show dog as not every puppy in a litter is show quality. It will be sold for pet under spay/neuter contracts to a suitable pet home.
You can also ask anyone you contact if they don't have anything available if they can refer you to someone in your area that does.
You often will have to be patient and wait until the right pup comes along for you.
Don't buy through the Internet and have the pup shipped to you. You won't have any idea of what you will actually get if you do get anything for your money at all. If you check into some of the posts on this forum, there are more than a couple of people that got ripped off this way.
You want to meet and visit the breeder you are buying the puppy from. You will be screened before you are invited to come to their home to see the puppy for sale. They will have the mother that you can see, not always the sire as many show breeders don't always use their own males but get stud services from other reputable show breeders.
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!