Old 08-26-2006, 06:19 AM   #13
LaLoca1
Livin' on a Prayer
Donating Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Sara
this is the career field I'm planning on going into

could you tell me details about regular things that happen at your job and such? also college experience and courses and etc.?

I think it's so great that so many children with the right help can function so well! It's wonderful to see that everday more people become aware!

Congratulations on deciding to come into this field! We need everyone!

I'm not sure how it is in California, but in the NJ/PA area, there are several non-profit residential facilities for special needs children. I prefer the Autistic and behavioral problems facilities. Most of these organizations do offer tuition reembursment for their college workers, so definitely ask about that!! I think most programs offer up to $2,500 a semester (the amount depends on how much you have to pay per sememster). Also, there are several internships at these organizations that you could possibly get college credits for as well.

For the direct care aides, you work the with children/adults as their ISP/IEP details. For example, let's say you have a 12 year old male who is low functioning. He might have a level of supervision as being visible at all times. He might have a bathing goal where you have to document if he washes himself independently, by you modeling how to wash, or doing hand over hand washing. Many of the children/adults are on medications (Abilify, Depakote, Risperdal)....some programs let the staff give them medicine...others have on-site nurses providing medication. This male could also be aggressive with behaviors....he could have SIBs (self injurious behaviors...like biting their hands) or he could hit others. He could also be non-verbal, but use either sign language or PECs (picture exchange communication). Basically, for the direct care aides, you help your child/adult with their everday activities (whether that is going to school or work), any goals listed in their ISP/IEP, redirecting any behavioral problems with behavior management techniques, and recreational activites.

If you need anymore information, please don't hesititate to contact me! I've been working in this field for almost 7 years. I have my BA in Psychology from Temple University...hopefully starting on my Masters soon!
LaLoca1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!