View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 10:38 PM   #1
NinaPants
Yorkie Talker

Omg Is my Nina schizo?

I have one yorkie, my Nina. She is about 11months old now, and she has typical issues. She's only potty trained when I'm around to watch her, she barks a lot at noises in the night or when people come home (I live with 4 roommates), but for the most part, she's very outgoing, loving, and everyone loves her. I moved in to my new living situation about 3 months ago, and along with 4 roommates, Nina and I share space with Alice, a sweet, loving and rather skiddish little mutt who is about 5 years old and weighs about 18lbs. (Nina weighs about 7lbs.) It took Alice and Nina a while to get used to each other, but now they are best friends and play all day long. It's really great! There have always been issues with food, and recently they have gotten pretty bad and I'm very concerned.

So Nina, bless her little spunky heart, LOVES to eat in front of Alice. It used to be kind of funny. Nina would show no interest in her food until Alice came around, then Nina would practically INHALE her food. Then it seemed that Nina would coax Alice into my room where I leave the food and start to gobble... she'd stop and look to see if Alice was in the room and if she wasn't, Nina would go and find her and do the same thing. But lately! If there is food in Nina's bowl (or even if Nina THINKS that there is food in her bowl) and Alice enters the room... Nina FLIPS OUT! She growls, and starts snarling, barking these vicious barks and tries to bite Alice! Then Nina will stop and start licking Alice's muzzle. And now the problem has evolved even further and if Nina thinks! her bone is in the vicinity and Alice comes around, Nina flips out and picks a fight!
My new method is to yell NO! really loud and separate Nina from Alice (which usually has no effect on Nina but Alice is scared of noise so she gets all freaked out) and I put Nina in her crate and tell her NO! I face the crate to the wall, leave the room, and let Nina cry in her crate for about 6 minutes or so. Then I take her out. I try to close the door when Nina is eating or when I'm trying to feed her, but now since it's been happening with the bones, I don't know where all the bones are (she loves to hide them) so I never really know when Nina is going to flip out on Alice. I'm worried that it might happen when I'm not home and one of the babies will get hurt.
Is this crazy or what? Does anyone else have similar issues or advice on this situation?
Is Ninapants schizo or multiple personality dog? It's really weird how she growls and snaps and then sometimes she'll immediately go to Alice and give her kisses. And then a lot of the time Nina will IMMEDIATELY flip over and be super submissive... crouching low to the ground, ears back, the whole 9.
Thanks for reading my ramble everyone!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!