View Single Post
Old 11-22-2004, 10:43 AM   #1
fasteddie
YT 6000 Club Member

Default [News] Yorkie to Be in British Pet Ads

Five dogs have been chosen to be the faces of one of Britain’s leading animal charities in new television adverts, it was announced today.

The animals were chosen from a recent “pet stars” casting session at the Birmingham Repertory Theatre for PDSA.

The adverts, which will be filmed next week, will be shown in the Central TV area early in the New Year to highlight the charity’s work.

One of the judges, Liza Randall, from the PDSA, said: “To bring to life the important work that PDSA does in providing quality health care for pets, our TV ad will focus on how rewarding it can be to own a pet and enjoy that special bond.

“For this to work on screen, it was important that our five chosen candidates exuded warmth and charisma and that all-important camera-friendly cuteness.”

The winners are:

Hugo, a 12-week-old Staffordshire bull terrier puppy, owned by Stephen Molby and Donna Williamson, from Great Barr, Birmingham.

He is said to have impressed the judges with his big personality and cute features.

Stephen said: “We were worried that Hugo would make the wrong impression with the judges as he’s at that phase where he can’t resist a playful nibble when he’s being affectionate.

“Fortunately, he was on his best behaviour and we’re chuffed to bits that he’s going to be a TV star.”

Gypsy, a three-legged, cross-breed owned by Rebecca Hiscutt, from Smethwick, West Midlands.

Despite her losing a leg in a road accident last year, judges were taken by two-and-a-half-year-old Gypsy’s boundless energy and eagerness to impress as well as her cute features.

Rebecca said: “Gypsy is my best friend and is such a big part of the family. We’re really looking forward to next week and are sure that our Gypsy will be on her best behaviour.

Brandy, the Yorkshire Terrier, owned by Mary Field, from Kings Norton, Birmingham.

Despite being one of the older candidates, the seven-year-old former rescue dog impressed with the special bond he seemed to have with his owner and his playful, affectionate nature.

Mary said: “Brandy is my soul mate. He’s a real companion and he’s a clever little dog too.

“I talk to him like a friend and I’m sure he understands everything I say. I’m chuffed to bits that he’s going to be a TV star.”

Butty the cross-breed puppy, owned by Dennis and Patricia Stokes from Hereford.

One-year-old Butty was the youngest of all the candidates, but the cute pup won over the panel with his boundless energy and impatience.

Mrs Stokes said: “We haven’t had Butty for long, but he’s already made such an impression on our family. We’re really looking forward to next week and are sure our little pup will be on his best behaviour.”

Cassie, the cross-breed owned by Vivienne Palmer and her five-year-old son, Hayden, from Aston, Birmingham.

The three-year-old is said to be a shy rescue dog who has been with his family since July. She is said to have been timid at first during casting but her affectionate nature caught the eye of the judges.

Vivienne said: “Cassie is Hayden’s best friend. It’s taken a few months to bring her out of her shell since we brought her home from the animal rescue, but since then, she’s become an important part of the family and has brought us a lot of pleasure.”

Liza said: “Cassie just proves that you don’t need to be a pedigree pooch to be photogenic. She is an adorable little dog who clearly has a very special bond with her owners.”

The PDSA was founded in 1917 and is Britain’s leading veterinary charity, providing free veterinary care for sick and injured pets belonging to people to afford treatment fees.

The fees – this year estimated to be about £33 million – are funded entirely by public support mainly through donations and gifts in wills.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3785643
fasteddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!