View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006, 10:56 AM   #7
Baby Blessing
Our Blessings R Many
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack_5_0
I have a 2lb. 5oz. Yorkie boy; Biggie. About 3 weeks ago he got sick out of the blue while he was with Grandma. He started staggering, pooping terribly, wheezing (?) and vomiting. We rushed him to the ER vet. After a second trip, two blood workups, urine/stool tests, fluids under his skin, etc. they told us it was probably anaphylactic shock from a bee/hornet sting... no real results or definite diagnosis was given... we gave him a couple of doses (tiny, obviously) of steroids via pills and also antibiotics. That was the end of what we ever found out. Mind you, Biggie was excrutiatingly sick, and the proding and probing of the vet made him feel much worse (ie sore bum for at least a week, etc.)

Biggie seemed to be fine after about 3 days and has been ever since.

Yesterday, I noticed blood in his stool on his potty pad. He then had a 'wheezing' episode that lasted about 5 minutes straight and then several more shorter wheezing episodes. He began to poop excessively (very runny) last night, and was up multiple times in the night to poop more. This morning, after only about 1 hr. of sleep he woke up and threw up.

Here is my dilema: Although I am not rich, the money isn't the issue. I really hesitate to take him to the vet when they are going to traumatize him sooo much...he is simply terrified of the whole experience. Additionally, they ended up telling me nothing after mutiple tests and many dollars!!

Does anyone else have the same experience, and have you had a true diagnosis and/or solution from the vet??

Currently we are trying to stay with him all the time, but it is very difficult as both my husband and I have to work at some point!! Thanks so much for any input or advice.

Teresa
Hi Teresa, Glad you found YT.
For the diareah it is good to give him cooked chicken (the white meat, breast) and also with a bit of cooked rice. I gave ours the water from the cooked rice to drink too. The rice helps with the diareah. How old is your yorkie? Did they check for parasite? Baby Blessing had a case of Giardia
when we got her, first time she had a bm there was blood, rushed her in to vet and got her on meds right away, it cleared up and she has been fine since. Once Our Cassie when we had first gotten her, was similar to how you are talking here and the emergency center didn't find anything so we took her to the vet when they opened and our vet immediately came back and said parasite, even though she had no bleeding. She was fine after the vet treated her. I would take him to your personal vet to be checked for this. I hope he is doing better. Please keep us updated. Please know he needs to be seen cause he can't continue on like this the throwing up and diareah is not good, they can go down hill fast. When one goes to the vet you don't have to agree to long list of tests, but take him in and have the vet check rectally to see if he has a parasite. Our vet is very good and knows how expensive tests can be and never does any that he doesn't feel is totally neccessary. If he were mine I would get him in to a vet soon, Parasites can make them real sick and have these symptoms of which you are mentioning. Patti

Last edited by Baby Blessing; 08-23-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Baby Blessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!