View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006, 07:30 AM   #5
FirstYorkie
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demitasse
Train him. Put him on his leash, tie him near the door, tell him sit and stay (if he doesn't know these, you'll have to teach him them too -- you can do all three at once). Open the door. If he moves toward it, give him your correction sound (mine is uh-uh, for instance). Keep doing this. When he does what you want, go crazy praising and petting him and give him treats if you train with treats. I don't always use treats, but for really difficult or important behaviors I do use treats.

Do this for 5-10 minutes at a time a few times a day, if you can.

Also, whenever you are taking him out with you, make him sit and stay before you open the door. Make it as much as a habit for you and your family as it is for your dog. Consistency is essential.

In the meantime, if your door opens a lot, you might want to leave a leash on your dog all the time so you have a better chance of grabbing him if he makes another break for it.

My last dog was a wonderful pedigreed yellow lab that I got from a family who re-homed him because of this exact behavior -- he was a runner. It took less than 2 weeks to get him to the point where he automatically sat and waited when I opened the front door.

Good luck!
Excellent post! That would be my advice as well. Make the sit/stay mandatory before any door opens (including the back door).

Wish I had a video of you running around the neighborhood in your underwear!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!