View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006, 04:47 PM   #1
teffiemoore
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default Our Whelping experience starring Dori

Now that our dust has settled, and sooooo many puppies are being born, I wanted to share our whelping experience. Dori whelped on day 62 after her breeding. She had her X-ray 1 week before and we knew she had room to whelp due to the puppy size verses her pelvic outlet, and we had two pups to expect. We began taking her temp 1 week before also. Friday Morning her temp was 98.3, she passed a small amt. of clear sticky discharge. Temp remained down for the day. She slept in her whelp box that night and 12:00 Sat. she began panting and digging at the bedding. Around 3:00 (give or take) she had a bag of membranes bulge and it broke. She layed down and thought she was going to sleep and of course screamed online here...then within 1 1/2 hour she stood up and began bearing down and really working hard. From that point it took 10 mins to whelp baby boy, he came out with membranes intact, (I'm a labor and del nurse and everything is hands on to me), I immediately took the sac off and suctioned the mouth and nose 4-5 time, finished taking membranes off, clamped the cord and let Mom chew cord partially, then cut the rest, put little boy in a small towel and rubbed him from head to toe dry and stimulated him. Within 3 mins of his birth he was put on a teet and began to nurse just like thats what he was put here for, lol. He nursed for 30 mins until Mom began bearing down again, we put little guy on the heating pad area on towels, she whelped the little girl easily, she was breech, and luckily was whelped in two pushes, and did the same with her as little boy. She also nursed within the first 3-4 mins. Dori did get a little antsy about chewing the cord shorter, but did fine leaving about 1/8 of an inch. She has a great temperament and has been a fine Mama so far. The pups weighed each 5oz on Sat. . They now weigh 6 1/4oz. We take Dori's temp twice a day and will continue until Sat. We check her teets daily for Mastitis, and weigh pups twice daily and will for next 3 weeks (this is our plan anyways). They were docked and dewed yesterday. Dori is still on puppy food and has cottage cheese with it each time, 3 times a day. SHe has had a huge appetite. Her discharge is down to almost nothing, light brownish red. I don't know if we did everything "right" but we did have a very positive outcome and this is why I wanted to share it. These puppies are too cute!!!!
teffiemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!