View Single Post
Old 08-21-2006, 05:37 AM   #8
RLC12345678
I heart Hootie & Hobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMuf1
One of mine had the itchies and the Vet found nothing serious to be the cause or culprit. She said that because he is so low to the ground, that he was reacting to the grasses and pollen left on his skin and coat. So, rather than putting him on any prescribed medicines, she suggested oatmeal baths two to three times a week. One would think that constant bathing would cause drying of the skin and even more itching - But, that is so far from the truth. Actually, worked like a charm! I buy the Aveno Oatmeal Bath/Soak (the one generally used for chicken pox relief for skin kids) and use half a pack per three to four inches of tub water. DO NOT add any type of cleanser such as shampooing during these soaks, and definately no scrubbing. Just pour the water over the entire body with a cup. She "should" experience immediate temporary relief until which time you have a chance to get her to your Vet. GOOD LUCK and keep us posted on her condition.
This exact same thing happened to my parents' yorkie and my grandparents' yorkie. They were itching to the point where they were bleeding. The vet ran some tests and found that they were just reacting to the cut grass and pollen in the yard. Our vet recommended oatmeal baths and head & shoulders soothing lotion, which you put on after a bath, work it in, and leave on. The Head & Shoulders stuff really worked miracles! My parents and grandparents also changed their food to one that didn't have corn in it and they started putting vegetable oil on their food. Now they don't itch anymore and they have beautiful, shiny coats!!
RLC12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!