View Single Post
Old 08-19-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

BaileysMom

I can't understand why so many people want to critize Caesar. There are so many different ways to work with dogs - and Caesar's method is only one that works well. He isn't a "dog trainer." He works with dogs that have behavioral problems.

As far as dogs being dogs -- mine are. All my life I have thought of my dogs as dogs. I think it's silly to consider them to be human or children or babies. My dogs have always been my very best friends. I love them as much as I love anyone or anything in the world. And, the one thing that I have always loved most about dogs is that they are "different" from people. They have special heartwarming traits that only dogs have. This is why they are so wonderful to have around.

Ceasar has loved dogs all his life. If you read his biography - he grew up on a dirt farm outside of Mexico City. His father and grandfather had a piece of land that they farmed for themselves and otherwise they worked for the landowner who owned all the land. They were "dirt poor." From the time he was a little boy he loved the dogs around him. He said that he would study the way that they worked together and their behavior for hours. They amazed him, and he loved to watch them. His dream was to always to work with dogs when he grew up. And, the story of his coming to our country alone as a penniless young boy to find his dream is really a success story. His first job was with a groomer. They let him sleep there because he had no money and no room. And, they learned quickly that this young boy was especially gifted with the animals that were very difficult to control...(they gave him all of them) .. people begin to notice and tell their friends about this young boy that had a special gift and a way of working with dogs. And, soon, he was being invited to people's houses to help them with the problems they were having with their dogs, and the story of his success has just moved on from there.

The reason Caesar works with dogs the way he does is because as a little boy he watched and studied the working dogs around their land. These dogs were working dogs and were treated as such. He watched how they worked together and earned their keep. He saw well adjusted animals that respected one another and trusted the people around them. They had no behavioral problems and were well adjusted, gentle, hard working, and earned their keep. Caesar befriended and loved these dogs all his young life. They were his best friends, and he always wanted to be around and work with dogs. It was his dream.

It was when Caesar was came to our country that he had the shock of his life. He found animals being treated an entirely different way. They lived in houses with people and were thought of as humans, babies, and children. They were spoiled and not exercised, and he saw a lot of behavioral problems. Often, they ran the house - their owners didn't. Many were aggressive and dangerous around other animals or people. Caesar began working with people and the animals that had these problems. There is no doubt that he has helped solve a lot of problems that a lot of people and their dogs have.

It doesn't make sense to me to critize any of this. If it works - it works. I have used some of Caesar's methods on my little Yorkie and Bichon - and I'm amazed at how fast they respond and how quickly they have learned some things.

If, for some reason, you don't agree with Caesar's way of helping dogs and their owners overcome behavioral problems - use another method. There are other ways to work with your pets. A lot of people go to dog training classes.... other people totally endorse "crate training," "clicker training," and many other methods. Some people are content doing nothing and just let their pets rule the roost. And --- some people really have no serious problems with their pets to start with.

I think a lot of the methods we use to work with our pets depend on us and our pets and their problems -- if they have any. Some of our pets have no serious problems. They are friendly, happy, affectionate, and not aggressive at all. Others of us do have serious problems (we read about them all the time here on YT). Some of our dogs suffer separation anxiety, food aggression, are destructive, are aggressive and we're even afraid they'll hurt other animals or people....and many of our pets have already displayed this type of behavior.

I see no reason to critize Caesar. I think he is great and can teach most of us a lot. But- if you don't agree with his methods - work with your dog in another way.

**** I agree that if you want to consider your dog a "little human," a "child," or "your baby," you probably don't like hearing Caesar say, "Your dog is a dog, and not a human." But, it's unfortunate that this turns so many people off to the wonderful work that he is doing. However, even if it does, I see no reason to critize him --- you can still work with your dog (child) using whatever method you want. I have often jokingly said that a lot of us shouldn't be buying books on training dogs or going to dog training classes - we should be bying books on how to raise children. Whatever works works!!!!

Carol Jean
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!