View Single Post
Old 08-18-2006, 10:40 PM   #14
MyTrixie143
Mom to 6 Beautiful Furkids

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLoca1
Adrianna is a lil over 6 months old and is teething (ok, she's chewing everything in sight!!!). I was reading in another thread that this might increase her tearing. Is this true? Is there hope for when she's done teething that her tear stains will clear up....or will I be cleaning them forever?
Yes, teething can cause tear staining. There are sooo many things that cause tear staining and unless you figure out what is causing it you won't be able to completely fix the problem.

A few things that cause tear staining are:

diet- putting them on a good diet, such as Chicken Soup for example and giving them distilled water helps them and will clear up the tear staining if it is caused from poor diet
genetics
overactive tearducts
teething or illness
ingrown hairs by the eyes
dust and pollen that gets into the eyes

Scampers has absolutely no tear staining or watering eyes, they are perfect!!
On the other hand, Poptart, my maltese, has really bad tear staining. For him I wash his face everyday and put corn starch under his eyes, being careful not to get it in his eyes, and brush away the excess corn starch, it also helps the area from getting wet. I have also tried using Polident and it works really good at getting rid of the tear stains and I know alot of people who have maltese use this and it really works. You just put the tablet in the water and let it dissolve and then take a washcloth and dip it into the polident and wipe it under the eyes, be careful not to get it in the eyes. Let it sit for a little bit and then wipe it off with a wet washcloth. I have tried numberous things and these are the two that work the best for me.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!