View Single Post
Old 04-30-2004, 05:48 AM   #6
Higgin's Mom
YT 500 Club Member

Default And then there is Pogo......

Actually, we do have two dogs, but only one Yorkie, Higgins. Pogo is our 12 year old Doodle (half dachshund, half poodle), 15 pounds of the smartest, most wonderful canine ever born. Pogo is a perfect gentleman in every way. A quiet, laid back hound who never barks and loves to travel and camp with us.

Since he is getting on in years, I wanted to get a puppy while Pogo was still spry enough to train him, and he is doing a great job with Higgins. Higgins watches Pogo like a hawk! And, for instance, if someone is walking by our house and Pogo doesn't bark, Higgins doesn't bark. If Pogo is lying down in the sun on the lawn, Higgins lies down in the sun on the lawn.

Now Higgins absolutely drives Pogo bonkers jumping in his face all the time and Pogo lets him have it often, with a fierce bark and lunge, but seldom does Higgins yip. Also, Pogo is FIERCELY protective of the little guy when it comes to strangers and other dogs. He gets right in there between Higgins and harm. Then as soon as any threat is over and everything is quiet, Pogo turns and sneers and growls at Higgins as if to say "I think you are a royal pain in the butt, but you belong to our family, so I'll protect you."

We have only been home here in Maine a couple of days and Pogo has now actually started to "play" with Higgins. They race around the house playing tag and it is really very cute to watch.
Higgin's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!