Thread: Is it true?
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2005, 08:28 AM   #8
minniemn
YT Addict

Actually Larger Breed Dogs have a SHORTER life span than the Smaller Breed Dogs.... so your yorkie in reality should live longer than say a rott.

I have two rotties and one yorkie... the rott life span is 8-10 years, BUT my vet has seen one live as long as 12 years. My oldest Rotty is 10, but is now being medicated for her arthritis... I am not sure how much longer she will be with us, because I don't believe in letting them be in pain... she may be losing her bladder control.. I am not sure she just didn't have an accident, but this is the second accident she has had in her bed.... she is a very proud dog, and was hanging her head low this am. If it continues then we have to start looking at options... I am not going to let her live being ashamed of herself, even though she can't help it. Her meds are not working as well any more either, so I am afraid she won't make it this year. She is at max dose on a controversial med. (her liver functions and kidney functions were fine last month, she is getting checked every 1-3 months)

Anyways, sorry for the ramble, but wanted to make sure you had the correct info... smaller dogs when healthy will live longer than bigger dogs when they are healthy.
minniemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!