Thread: Teacups!
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2006, 08:03 AM   #7
Lorraine
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

These tiny ones are a headache. They are undersized for the breed and sometimes are because there is a health problem but not always. A Yorkie is a Toy breed and there are no other size varieties for the breed. Some are bigger and therefore considered oversized if they are more than 7 lbs at maturity. So Teacup, etc actually does not exist.
For any surgery for the undersized, rule of thumb ie. anything that looks like it will be under 5 lbs, I request my Vet put them on IV during surgery. This reduces the stress of the anesthesia and surgery and will give a ready mode to inject a drug needed if there should be a problem. For any that are full size under 4 lbs, I would have the Vet do a blood panel and BA test to be sure there aren't any liver/kidney or other problems they would need to be aware of.
For any of you that have these little ones and have been a little afraid of the surgeries and/or teeth removal, you could discuss these precautions with your Vet. I also make sure any Vet any of my puppy buyers are going to, are familiar with Toy breeds of dogs. It is a big difference Vetting large breeds of dogs compared to Toys.
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!