View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 06:41 AM   #2
RLC12345678
I heart Hootie & Hobbs

CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS on your new addition! I sure do hope you are enjoying her. You are so kind to give that baby a good home! I'll try to help you with your questions. I don't use any elaborate or expensive grooming products on my babies.

1. I would wash her face every night and possible every morning with a wet warm wash cloth. Or just wash her face down with a wash cloth anytime you feel it is dirty throughout the day. Give her a bath once a week.

2. I attached a picture of the brush I use on my 2. It is called the Groomax Pin Brush and you can get it at Petsmart. Whatever brush you use on them, first do the "brush test" to make sure it is gentle enough. Take the brush and rub it up and down your bare arm. If it makes white markes on your arm, then it is too abrasive to use on your furbaby. It needs to be so gentle that it doesn't scratch their skin when they are brushed. Check the brush you're using. One reason she may hate to be brushed is because it just hurts!

3. I make an effort to brush my 2 once a day. This will get them used to being brushed so it is not such an ordeal when that time comes up. Brushing them also stimulates the oil glands in their skin. Brushing them often will keep their coat and skin looking nice and shiny and prevent dandruff.

4. As for shampoo and conditioner, I just use cheap shampoo from Walmart. It is called Seargent's Oatmeal Flea & Tick Shampoo. We are having a really bad season for fleas here in Alabama, so that is why I started using this shampoo. I am pleasantly surprised at how good it smells and how shiny it makes their coat! I love it! I will continue to use it in the fall and winter when it's not flea season anymore just because I like it so much. You need to use a conditioner everytime you bathe her. I just use plain ole' Head & Shoulders conditioner because one of mine used to have dandruff. You really can use any kind of conditioner. Other kind of products that are popular are Chris Christensen products, PetSilk, and SheaPet. These are "show dog" products that are usually only available online. (At least, that is the only place I've been able to find them.)

5. As for liking to be brushed, you really just need her to get used to it. Brush her single everyday. When she acts up, make her look at you in the face and tell her NO SIT STILL! When she starts squirming, hold her firmly and tell her NO, SIT STILL. Don't let her go anywhere until she is finished being brushed. It may take a few minutes out of your day to brush her since you really shouldn't let her up until she is done being brushed, but once she is used to it, then it will be a relatively quick process. Give her a treat everytime after you brush her and praise her!

Good luck with your new furbaby!
Attached Thumbnails
New momma lots of questions ??????-brush.jpg  
RLC12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!