View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
fasteddie
YT 6000 Club Member

Default [News] Yorkie Owner Traumatized by Pit Bull Attack

BC, Canada - A Port Coquitlam woman is out $1,800 in veterinarian bills after her six-pound Yorkshire terrier was mauled by two pit bulls during an evening walk last week.
Kathy McDonald was finishing her stroll with “Dot” in Blakeburn Park at around 9:20 p.m. last Friday when she ran into a young fellow, his girlfriend and their two unmuzzled pit bulls, which were on extended leashes.

She had spoken with the boy earlier that week about his dog, which had just given birth to 13 puppies.

When they met up again on Friday, McDonald said she scooped up Dot because the male pit bull was getting agitated and Dot was backing off. Just then, McDonald said, the female pit bull flew into a rage and broke from its leash, grabbing Dot from McDonald’s arms.

“Each [pit bull] had her between them, in their mouths, tearing her apart,” an emotional McDonald told The Tri-City News yesterday. “I just started screaming. They wouldn’t let go. It was frantic.”

McDonald said she tried to restrain the male pit bull by twisting its collar. It snarled at McDonald and was about to attack her, but instead dragged her on the concrete pavement in Dot’s direction. As a result, McDonald, a critical care nurse at Royal Columbian Hospital, sustained cuts to her elbows and knees.

McDonald finally got a hold of Dot, who suffered broken ribs and torn muscle and skin. She also asked for the names and addresses of the pit bull owners.

They refused but, the next day, the boy, who is a new neighbour of McDonald, came to her door and offered to pay for the vet costs — when he could, she said.

McDonald is now considering legal action, and has lodged complaints with the RCMP, the city and the SPCA, which handles PoCo’s animal control and care.

Dan Scones, PoCo’s manager of bylaw enforcement, said the city will automatically refer McDonald’s complaint to the SPCA for an investigation as to whether the pit bulls should be deemed dangerous.

If they are classified as dangerous, the licensing fee for the dogs may go up, and they would be required to be enclosed properly and muzzled while in public places, said SPCA’s Lorie Chortyk. In many circumstances, if a dog attacks a second time, it would be destroyed.

McDonald believes the owners should also face a fine.

She can’t shake the image of her pet being attacked. “It was absolutely horrific,” she said. “It makes me cry to think what my dog sounded like... the screaming. There needs to be consequences against the owners.”

“Too many people have these dogs,” McDonald continued. “They’re dangerous. What do they want with them? I don’t understand. You can’t even take your dog for a walk because you have to muzzle it.”

http://www.tricitynews.com/portals-c...d=704239&more=
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dot.jpg (115.6 KB, 1976 views)
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!