View Single Post
Old 08-08-2006, 08:48 PM   #5
Jenn218
Mojo, LilyGrace & Me
Donating Member

I think lab work is a must! It determines so much that may affect the surgery and how well your pet handles it.

Also, I made sure my vet had the smallest tube!! And the newest "gas" - which is the safest and gentlest.

Stitches and pain meds....that is up to you and the vet. My vet sends them home with us, just in case - if you don't use them, they last for awhile and you can always call to see when you can use them.

Some vets have the pets stay over night, others don't and I think too, that is up to you and your vet. Our pets have always come home, even if the surgery was done late. But, my vet know me well and know how I treat my pets, so know they will be checked. Plus, some vets don't even have people there, so the animals are just coming out of surgery, in pain, and in a cage all night by themselves....no way - not one of mine!

While "out", I would check about doing a teeth cleaning too, if you haven't done it yet. It takes no time and doesn't cost much. Some vets prefer to do it then too. - and it helps not to have to put your pet "out" more than you need to. My vet did this with Mojo, but said for the other times, they just do a shot to sedate them and they are done in no time at all.

I can't think of anything else, but I am sure that someone else can add to the list. Good luck!
Jenn218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!