Thread: Need some HELP!
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2006, 12:32 PM   #11
TatumsMom
Donating YT 500 Club Member

I had a hard time teaching Tatum "come" also until I went to training classes with her. We started out walking on a leash and making sure they stayed right beside us. When you do that exercise, you keep treats in your hand and give them one every few steps as long as they stay by your side. That took no time for her to catch on to. Then every few steps or so we were told to stop and let the dog get ahead of us then say "come". Right at first, it was necessary to give a little tug on the leash and kind of pull her back but every single time you did that, you gave a little treat. Honestly, it took no time at all for Tatum to grasp it and now she comes about 99% of the time I tell her to. The key here is treats, treats and more treats. When we were in class, I used a hamburger patty broken into teeny tiny pieces and every single time she was told to do something and she responded, she got a piece. The come command really needs to be started with the dog on a leash until they get the basics of it.

Have you gone to any puppy/dog training classes? The most important part of these classes is for YOU to learn the correct way to teach your dog. Once you get the hang of it, you can train them to do other things. The only thing I was able to teach Tatum myself (before classes) was to sit. I learned so much valuable stuff at the classes though.

Good luck!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!