View Single Post
Old 08-07-2006, 01:51 PM   #5
Lorraine
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Hi as you got him from a pet shop, it is uncertain what he actually did or didn't have unless they gave you a record with him of the vaccination.
Rabies falls under a different category for both giving the vaccination and record keeping of the vaccinations given. The rabies vaccination is a Federal Govt regulated vaccination where the Vet doing the vaccination has to keep a record of the animals they are vaccinating that the info can be provided to the Fed Govt should they request it. Without the vaccination record and rabies shot tag and number there is no record so I sincerely doubt he was vaccinated for rabies as that info is required by law once the rabies vaccine is given.
As you got him at 2 1/2 months of age, and are not that certain what they did, I think it would be safer to wait until he is 14 1/2 months old before doing a rabies vaccination. You don't want to overload him or do vaccinations too early since the last one if they did indeed do one.
I never recommend rabies vaccinations for Yorkie pups at less than 6 months of age. They should not ever be given with any other vaccinations and never at the time they are sedated for a surgery of some sort.
If rabies has already been done at a young age and they are okay, then it should be fine.
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!