View Single Post
Old 08-07-2006, 05:33 AM   #11
Erin
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

I disagree with Cesar's training methods. They are old, outdated, many are proven to be bogus and many of the dogs look stressed and/or fearful. Forcing your dog to submit to you, rather than teaching them the proper way to behave, is quite lazy IMO. Considering so many people on this board will jump on someone for using a collar on their yorkie, I'm surprised so many will stand up for Cesar when he advocates using collar correction.

We use positive reinforcement (basically clicker with a "YES!" instead of a click) and treats. There is a difference between a "reward" and a "bribe". We have done 6 different training classes from puppy class to canine good citizen. It's fun. I don't like traditional harnesses so I use an Easy Walk by Premier on Loki. He has learned how to walk on a loose leash so the harness isn't necessary, but I still prefer to walk him on it for longer distances, places with distractions, etc. My trainer only discouraged traditional harnesses because they encourage pulling. Most of our work was done off leash anyway, except leash walking, and there was no correction. Many people continued to use harnesses or switched to Easy Walks with no problem, as long as they taught their dog not to pull.

BTW there is a difference between "leadership" and "dominance" and you don't have to be dominant to be the leader. As the leader, all the good things come from you. You ask your dog to sit before feeding him, sharing a toy with him, or taking him for a walk. You don't "own" the good things, you control them. If you dog behaves he gets good things. If he does not he gets ignored. We also use time-outs in the crate. With positive reinforcement you teach your dog how you want him to behave. You reward good behavior, and therefore see more of it.

If you would like some book suggestions, I would start with Pat Miller's books. Positive Perspectives or The Power of Positive Dog Training. Everyone should read The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell. If you are interested specifically in clicker training, read Karen Pryor's book. I am currently reading Bones Would Rain by Suzanne Clothier - more philosophy/stories than training but it's really good. Also look for Ian Dunbar, Turid Rugrass & Jean Donaldson.

By the way, putting a choke or prong collar on the wrong dog actually can make the dog fearful. Say the dog lunges for a kid (happily, to greet the kid) then you use the choke collar. The dog now associates PAIN with CHILDREN. Do this a few dozen times and your dog could develop a fear or agression towards kids that did not exist before. It is time consuming, though not difficult, to teach your dog to walk on a loose leash. It involves a lot of stopping, starting and rewarding. We learned this in class and practiced every day for about 3 weeks. You have to learn this in Canine Good Citizen - I would suggest that class to everyone!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!