View Single Post
Old 08-06-2006, 09:09 AM   #8
Wolftrap
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanieK
#1 It is wrong because if you are walkuing as a pack, the dog should not be out in front of you, it should be behind you or beside you, never in front of you. If you are at a park and letting him wander, then that is another thing.

#2. Correct you should not be petting her until she has calmed down. No speak, no touch, no eye contact, untill she settles down. If she jumps at your friends then use the dog whisperer method to get her to back away. She should be familiar, with she Shhhttt and the touch so she will respond to it when you use it.

I make mine sit and wait when I open the door, until I tell them it is OK to go in or out. I used the Shhhhht ouch to teach them this.

#3. Do not allow people to approach her until she is sitting quietly. If you are walking her properly she should not be able to approach them. That is the purpoe of keeping her on a short leash.

Never give them attention when they are in an excited state, this only encourages that behavior.

I am an avid Dog Whisperer Fan. And I have used his methods on my daughters hyper lab, and it does work.
Thanks SOOO much for your input. I am going to start using these techniques right away. I really want a well trained dog and its easier to just let the little dogs get away with whatever they want. But I Love the dog whisperer and really want my Coco to be as well behaved and obedient as the dogs on his show. I am not going to use her retractable leash anymore.

Oh one more question is it ok to let the dogs walk with their nose to the ground? She walks with her nose to the ground because she is sniffing everything she comes into contact with but is this a good thing?
Wolftrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!