View Single Post
Old 08-06-2006, 05:21 AM   #1
Wolftrap
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Training Questions

OK I watch the dog whisperer all the time. I really like his training techniques but I have a few questions that he has not addressed and was hoping some of you can help me.

1. Is a retractable leash OK to use? I see on the dog whisperer he always uses short leashes. He says it makes the walks more mentally stimulating and tires the dog. I use a retractable leash. I just let her walk and walk I figured she is tiring herself out because she is walking or running on it and getting more exercise that way. Is this wrong?

2. She is OVERLY hyper as I"m sure all of you know. Is it acceptable behavior for her to be bouncing off the walls and running in circles and barking as soon as I come home from work? I know she is doing this because she is excited to see me. She will not stop this until I acknowledge or pet her. She does the same thing when I have visitors in my home. I worry about this because not everyone is a dog lover and to have a dog acting like this and jumping on them and barking until they pet her is a little embarrassing sometimes. Should I not pet her when she is like this?

3. She is a VERY friendly dog and since most people think she is "oh so cute" a lot of people pet her while we are on our walks. Because of this she thinks EVERY single person we pass or see is supposed to pet her. So when we walk by someone she starts trying to run up to them and jump on them and gets very hyper. She also does this when we pass other dogs because she wants to play. I know not every dog is friendly and not every person likes dogs. Should I break her of this habit?

Please help. I've been wondering about these 3 things for awhile now and wondering if I should start to retrain her. She is 1 yr old.

Thanks!
Wolftrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!