View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 05:59 AM   #1
RLC12345678
I heart Hootie & Hobbs

Default What would U do ab this vet? Sorry kinda long...

My hubby and I just moved so we had to start using a new vet. I guess I got really spoiled bc our old vet had such great prices. The first time we took Hobbs to our old vet right after we got him, he didn't charge us a dime because he doesn't charge for a puppy or kitten's first visit. When Hobbs was young, I freaked out all the time that he might be sick or something, and I could just run him in, the vet would look at him, and if there wasn't anything wrong & I didn't need meds, he wouldn't charge me. Well when we started using the new vet, they seemed excessive. Hootie's first vet visit to just look over her for the health guarantee was $100 but I justified it by saying that I felt really comfortable with them, ect.

Well, this past Saturday I took both babies in bc Hootie needed shots and Hobbs' needed nails clipped. The vet discovered that Hootie had a lot of bacteria in her ears and she asked if Hobbs had been scratching his ears. I said he had a little, so she took a culture of them, and then looked over the outside of his body. The process of looking over Hobbs took less than 3 minutes. (He did not have any bacteria, by the way.) All in all, I got both babies' nails trimmed ($6 each), Hootie got 3 shots, both dogs got ear cultures, Hootie got her ears flushed, and I had to buy 2 ear meds for Hootie. The total was $270! Now, I know prices are different for different parts of the country, but I thought this was outrageous! When Hobbs was a baby, he slightly fractured a bone in his leg by jumping off the couch. I was never charged anything like this even when we had to deal with the broken leg for 3 weeks! They charged me $75 just to look over Hobbs and take a culture of his ears, like I said, only took 3 min.

So, I come home and told hubby how much the vet bill was and he was SOOO pissed. He has been saying all along that their prices are too high and that they rip us off. So, he made me call the vet and cancel their next appt and tell them that their prices were too high and that we had to find a new vet.

The next day, the vet personally calls me back and tells me that she is sorry that they did not explain our payment options to us and that they could definately work something out as far as cheaper options. For example, they had to flush Hootie's ears, and instead, they could have sent us home with some flush to do it ourselves and it wouldn't have cost so much. She told me that everyone there LOVES Hootie and Hobbs and they would be sad if they didn't get to see them anymore. I told hubby all this, but he is still pissed and doesn't want me to go back there.

So, my question is, should I go back and work out payment options with them? Compared to my vet in Bham, I do feel more comfortable with them. They are very sweet to my doggies and I don't worry about them when I have to leave them there. But, I just don't appreciate someone charging me $75 for just to look at Hobbs. My vet in Bham would NEVER have done that, and I think that shows that he not onlys cares about my dogs, but me also...you know?

Sorry so long. My hubby says I'm long winded...I say I'm thorough. Any opinions would be appreciated.
RLC12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!