View Single Post
Old 07-31-2006, 09:30 AM   #15
yorkiemalt
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Oh I agree! Why go through that twice if you don't have to!

Chan's first surgery (April) was due to a trauma, he simply twisted it the wrong way during a walk. He was a grade 2 before and then in a split second became a 3-4. That was a Thursday afternoon and we had to wait until Monday for the surgery...that was long enough for me, can't imagine what you're going through. We went for his 8 week check up on June 2 and we given the go ahead to let him slowly, over the next month, get back into his normal routine.

As my luck would have it, 3 weeks later he was running for the front door with his sister and boom the left one gave out. That surgery was June 29. We're going on week 5 of recovery. Our surgeon INSISTS on the full 8 weeks.

Tough for us because Chan is not used to a crate. We found the x-pen works the best and keeps him nice and quiet.

The rehab is long and quite time consuming. I'd like to give you one BIG hint right off the bat - they send you home with a belly strap to aid in her walking during the first few days....it is quite awkward to work with and I have found that a scarf works much better. Not too wide, believe it or not a woman's silk scarf worked the best.

Also, when she comes home she will be uncomfortable. I don't know what I was thinking but I was shocked when he was in pain for awhile. It is a major orthopaedic surgery....they should send her home with a morphine patch on her leg. Just REMEMBER it will get better!!!!!! The second time around I was alot calmer because I knew what to expect - but the first one - OMG, I was certifiably insane!! LOL

If there's anything else I can do to ease your mine, don't hesitate to ask.

I have never known anyone to have 2 done at the same time - my surgeon refuses. Personally, I think it will force her to use both the legs and that is the key to a speedy recovery. Slow, weight restricted walking gets the joint moving and surely helps.

My thoughts are with you and your baby.......
yorkiemalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!