View Single Post
Old 07-29-2006, 04:38 PM   #8
3CrazyYorkies
YT 500 Club Member

Thought this might help:

Summer is coming..with the heat comes flowers..with the flowers comes bees..

Bees don't go out of there way to sting, but certain pets have a way of getting themselves stung.

My dog is determined to bite bees flying near his head, resulting in number of bee stings.

This most commonly occurs in dogs, but I have seen a few cats who have decided to eat a bee an become stung in the mouth..

SIGNS

Usually there is only minor swelling and redness- Your pet will be irritated acting itchy and a little sore.

A small number of pets have allergic reactions. Most reactions are in the form of swelling, sometimes throughout the body ( hives).

Some reactions are more serious, resulting in anaphylactic shock. You can see difficulty breathing, vomiting, weakness, trembling and collapse.

SOLUTIONS

LOOK FOR SIGNS OF SHOCK

Specifically, anaphylactic shock. The blood pressure rapidly drops causing a whole host of problems. Symptoms include pale tongue and gums, trembling, weakness, vomiting, diarrhea. Often you can see quick, shallow respirations and ultimately, collapse. Wrap your pet in a blanket for heat, and put a few drops of honey on his gums to maintain consciousness.

CPR

In cases of anaphylactic shock, you may need to perform CPR if your pet stops breathing. Put your hand around his muzzle, and blow 2 breaths into his nose watching his chest rise. Give 15-20 breaths until your pet starts to breath on his own.

Listen to your pet's heart by placing an ear against the chest. If the heart has stopped, then you need to begin cardiac compression. Place 1 hand over the chest behind the left armpit, compressing the chest ½ inch 80 times a minute. One breath for every 5 compressions. Continue this until your pet begins to breath on his own.

TREAT THE SWELLING

Most pets only need to be treated for swelling. The most effective is an antihistamine such as Benadryl or chlorpheniramine.

Benadryl dose is 1mg per lb- so a 10lb cat can get 10mg or 1 teaspoon of the liquid or ½ of a 25mg tablet.

Repeat every 6-8 hours as needed.

REMOVE THE STINGER

If you can see the stinger, then remove it. Scrape it free with a blunt knife blade.

COOL IT DOWN

A cold pack or compress will reduce the pain and inflammation. Cover the area with a cold cloth, and place and ice pack on top of the swelling- frozen peas work well. Keep it on until it starts to ice starts to warm. If your pet will allow it, repeat this within 1-2 hours.

BAKING SODA

This is one of your grandparents home remedies that work. Make a poultice by mixing 2 tablespoons of baking soda with just enough water to make a thick paste. Apply this to the bee sting.

CALAMINE LOTION

This works well for both myself and my dog. It can be applied directly to the swollen area. Repeat every 2-3 hours.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

If you are seeing bees around your pet, then be prepared to treat a sting.

In most cases, there are few reactions. But a small number have serious signs of shock.

If you don't know.. learn how to treat shock and perform CPR.

LEARN how with my Book, Veterinary Secrets Revealed, at http://www.veterinarysecretsrevealed.com
3CrazyYorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!