View Single Post
Old 07-29-2006, 08:45 AM   #6
4Dogs
YT Addict

I was surprized last week when the trainer at my girls puppygarten actually recommended Greenies to the owner of a maltese with chewing issues. The rescue organizations I work with continue to issue warnings with every adoption - but you are right - the product is everywhere.

I stay away from rawhide for another reason as well..... gas! I've had a number of large rescue dogs that were comforted and able to ease their anxiety with access to a plentiful supply of appropriate chewing items. Over the years this has included different rawhide "bones" and it wasn't until I was educated about some of the dangers that I made changes in what I supplied the dogs with. At the time we had a dog with awful "gas" issues.... I never connected the absence of rawhide with the improvement in the situation until we were on vacation one year and out of a lack of any other choice I gave her a rawhide bone. I swear - it didn't take more than an hour for the gas problems to return! It was so awful that I swore I'd give a dog my shoe before ever handing over rawhide again!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!