View Single Post
Old 07-29-2006, 07:47 AM   #1
4Dogs
YT Addict

Default Yorkies and Bees

I just finished reading Connie's very informative post regarding Maddie's bout of tonsillitis and infected tick bite. The response to Connie's post from the YT community was so supportive of Connie that it gave me the courage to ask this question ..... Are Yorkie's more at risk for a potentially dangerous bee sting than a larger dog?

I currently have a huge problem with a burrow of cicada killer wasps in my back garden near the kitchen door. I am deathly allergic to bee/wasp stings so we have been spraying the burrows diligently over the last few days but unfortunately we have been plagued with horrific storms over the same period and the rain is just washing the insecticide away. (The area's have been fenced in so the dogs/cats can't get directly where we sprayed.)

My two large dogs leave the wasps alone but Roxy and Ruby are fixated on chasing these rather large flying creatures constantly and I am concerned that they might be at risk for a more serious reaction should they get stung. I am taking every precaution and am taking them out in the garden ONLY on a leash today but sometimes one of those damn wasps lands right next to one of the pups and they pounce before I know it. When I am sure it is safe, I take the girls out front of the house but I have to be careful on the weekends because there is a lot of doggie traffic, including a potentially dangerous husky who has previously wounded my GSD and my mother's beautiful ridgeback.

I'd go to the dog park for a while but the whole mite thread put me off!

Juli
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!