View Single Post
Old 07-28-2006, 02:11 PM   #8
Rae Rae
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacy's Mom
The intranasal vaccine is a live vaccine and although it doesn't cause actual kennel cough, it can cause the vaccine form of the disease and is spreadable to other dogs. I don't ever board my dogs, attend training classes, etc. so I never give it in either form and have never had any of my dogs come down with it.

BORDETELLA VACCINE:

The bordetella vaccinations are of some help in controlling kennel cough and other respiratory infections caused by this bacteria. Anyone who has show dogs, kennel dogs or who boards their dogs may benefit from this optional protection. However, some dogs are sensitive to this vaccination and may develop coughing, runny nose, slight congestion. As with people, this is a live virus that can cause the symptoms of this disease although it will help boost the immunity. There are two vaccine types for this protection. One being an injection and the other being a nasal vaccine. (Spray type). The intranasal vaccine gives the most immediate immunity. The injectable bacterin must be given twice for opptimum protection. The first injection is given at age 5-6wks of age and is repeated two to four weeks later. Puppies can be given the intranasal vaccine as early as 3 weeks of age.

Where did you get this information? Viruses aren't live (actually I think it's a huge science debate, but I'm pretty sure from what I learned, their not), but vaccines definitly aren't. I believe thier a mutated virus, but have to double check in the text book that's in the car. I'm just wondering because if it's a site that says virus's are alive, then I don't know about how good the rest of what the site says is.

Glad I found this thread...Rocky's been snorting for the past week or so.

Last edited by Rae Rae; 07-28-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Rae Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!