View Single Post
Old 07-27-2006, 03:43 PM   #3
DrakesMom
Senior Yorkie Talker

Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyV
I'd be careful... There's a reason they make specific food for "large breed" puppies.

Large breed puppies have a different diatary need than our little pups. Too much calcium and too many calories can have a negative effect on their growth. They require less calories per pound than small dogs, they also take longer to reach full maturity...

I'd be worried that your Yorkies aren't receiving adequate amounts of calcium, protein and calories. While the immediate effects might be seen, it may have a negative effect in the long term.

I'd put them on a feeding schedule and keep them all separated until everyone has finished eating..... I have to do this with my cats. I have three cats eating three different foods. They're all locked in separate rooms until everyone is done eating. After a month of doing this they all figured it out. At feeding time they all go into "their" room and finish their food rather quickly so they can get out again....

I'm sure your pups are smarter than my cats... They'll figure out that this is what they're getting to eat and if they don't eat it it's not coming back until dinner. I bet after just a couple days they'll readily eat when you put it down... But if they still refuse to eat their own food, try switching to another brand or formula appropriate for small dogs.

I'm just telling you what works for me... Hopefully some others will have some suggestions for you too. Personally, I'd keep them away from the Large Breed food and get them on something better as soon as I could.

Good luck.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my thread! I really appreciate it! I'm glad I asked about it, too, because I was thinking the large breed puppy food might have MORE than what the other 2 dogs....not less, so that's definitely something good to know!

I'm going to have to do what you suggested....there's just no other way to do it!

Thank you again and have a great day!
DrakesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!