Thread: Neutering?
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 01:12 PM   #6
Oscar's Mummy
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Sorry, this is a long one!

I was scared to death about having Oscar neutered - I cried the day I dropped him off at the vet. I knew it had to be done though, and I had to put my trust in my vet.

Keeping in mind that this is just my opinion - and some people's opinions/experiences will differ, here are my thoughts....

Stedmansmommy - I think it's pretty standard to wait until they are 6mths to have them neutered. I waited until Oscar was 7mths because I wanted him to gain a little more weight beforehand (he was 2.8lbs the day of surgery). BUT, he did start hiking his leg every once in awhile before he went in for surgery and this did not change after surgery. He squats sometimes, hikes sometimes - he's not marking in the house mind you, just misses the peepad sometimes. I guess it depends on your vet if he/she feels that your puppy is ready for surgery because both of his 'boys' have dropped. As far as the vet over-aneasthetizing your puppy - I think they'd have to be fairly inept to do that. They weigh your puppy and administer the anaesthetic according to their weight.

Oh, I would also recommend having any baby teeth removed at the time of their surgery. (Oscar was one of the unlucky ones - had to have 14 baby teeth pulled - poor little guy didn't know which end hurt more!). I think it's a good idea to have them pulled at the same time as their spay/neuter surgery - saves you having to put them under again later on to have retained teeth pulled. Some people opt to wait and see if they fall out on their own - and sometimes they will, but sometimes you end up having to have them pulled a year or so later. Oscar looked like a shark - two rows of teeth, so pulling them was the best option - before he started getting any gum infections/etc.

Here's a few things I did to make the surgery easier on both of us:

1. Asked LOTS of questions - my vet was fantastic about answering all of my questions in great detail, and it put my mind at ease. Even go so far as to have them explain exactly what happens during the surgery. Don't be afraid to ask questions - even ask them about things you read on here.
2. Pre-op bloodwork/consultation with vet the night before the surgery - to make sure he's ok for surgery.
3. Made sure they use Isoflourane (I was told by my breeder that this was the only acceptable aneasthetic for yorkies BUT, I know that others on this forum have had great luck with other forms of aneasthetic - this is just from my own experience).
4. I had them hook Oscar up to an IV during the surgery - It cost a little more, but the extra precaution made me feel better.
5. I took one of my big old sweaters that Oscar had been sleeping on so it had my smell as well as his on it. I was worried he would think I wasn't coming back for him! It was also great for bundling him up in when I picked him up later that day.
6. I called my vet around mid-day when I knew that the surgery would be complete so I could finally put my mind at ease that he was awake and well. Some vets will even call you after the surgery to let you know how your baby is doing.

I've heard far more success stories compared to sad ones when it comes to putting a yorkie under for any surgery - and as much as I can try to put your mind at ease, I know you'll worry just the same. Just like I will worry when I take my new baby girl to get spayed in the fall - even though I have even more faith in my vet's capabilities at this point - I'll still worry, and probably still cry.

Hope this helps.. sorry it's sooooo long!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!