Thread: Neutering?
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 12:06 PM   #2
Rae Rae
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stedmansmommy
I have a couple Neutering questions about my little guy. I was wondering at what age you all Neutered your little boys? I asked my vet and he said that it can be done "as soon as the testicals drop"...but what exactly does that mean? I thought "the testicals dropping" just meant that I was able to see them...which I now can. Also, I have read some pretty scary things about the little Yorkies going in to have this done...and when they are put to sleep, sometimes the vet's inject too much (of whatever it's called LOL) in to them (because they are just so small), which can cause them to never wake up. I have read on a couple web sites that you should demand that your vet uses Gas to put them to sleep whenever having this procedure done, instead of injecting them. So anyway, I am wondering when I should have this done? Is he old enough? And if I should ask them to use Gas instead of injecting him because he's small? Stedman is 5 months and 3 days old and weighs just over 3 lbs. Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

P.S.- He has NOT started "hiking" his leg yet and I would prefer to have this done before he ever starts the hiking thing, lol. I have heard that if you wait until they start hiking their leg to have this done, that sometimes they will still hike even after they are Neutered. I have had dogs all my life, but this is my very first male so I am a little confused about all this boy business

When I first came on this board, I saw a lot of people were afraid of getting their dogs spayed and neutered. I asked my vet what the big fear for getting a yorkie fixed is all about, and she told me its no different from any other animal, or person going under the knife. Remember that ANYONE can recieve to much anestethic(sp?), no matter what their size. She also informed me (which I already knew) that they are not going to give it a huge amount.

Gas is a good idea though, but I would find out pros and cons of boths before you decide. Good luck!
Rae Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!